The Mukete Estates started as far back as 1910 by late Nfon A. Mukete with the cultivation of cocoa. In 1921, the plantation produced 100 bags (approx. 7 tons). In 1952, coffee was introduced and the name Mukete and Sons plantation was born. In 1961, rubber was in the Nkangmudikum Estate and by 1969, the estate name was changed from Mukete and Sons plantations to Mukete plantations limited (MPL). In a bid to foster plantation agriculture, oil palm was again introduced in 1977 with the first plantation in Bai Manya. In this same year it was admitted into the forestry profession and by 1979 it acquired a forest concession in Manyu Division. In 1987 changed its appellation from Mukete Plantations limited (MPL ) to Mukete Estate Limited (MEL). As a result of expansion of its oil palm plantation and to cope with the increasing production, an Oil Mill was built within the plantation in Banga village. It is equally worth mentioning that Heritage Ranch started in Banga Estate of MEL with the introduction of cattle and sheep/goat rearing. MEL is popularly described by its management as now an agro-industrial giant in the South-West Region and third after the Cameroon Development Corporation (CDC) and PAMOL Plantations limited.